Quotes

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

"....each day's a gift and not a given right......"

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Wow, its been awhile.....

I just noticed the date on my last blog! It has been over 1 month since I blogged last! A lot has happened since then. For starters, I had another lovely trip to the E.R. the Sunday before mothers day. I woke up about 5 a.m. and wasn't feeling well, so like most times I went to the kitchen to get a drink of water. I didn't turn on the light's because I didn't want to wake anyone else up. I opened the fridge and that's when I noticed that my left armpit was drenched!! I looked down in the light from the fridge and noticed lots of blood and fluid on my shirt. I went back to the bedroom and told trish I needed to turn on the light. When I showed her why she kind of freaked out with me. I tried to see where the fluid and blood was coming from, and found that the clave ( a little attachment on the line going into my chest) was leaking blood and medicine, and that is why I wasn't feeling well! We immediately paged my specialty nurse and explained the problem to her and she told us to call 911 and get IMC as quick as possible.
We had just planned on driving but I suddenly felt like I was going to pass out, ( because I wasn't getting my drug like I should have been). So we called for an ambulance. When they arrived we had to have them start an I.V. immediately so we could switch my medicine to the I.V. line so my medicine would start flowing again. They rushed me to IMC and my specialty nurse called ahead so they could put me into the RICU as soon as I arrived. For those of you who don't know the RICU is the respiratory intensive care unit, for people like me and anyone who has major respiratory problems. While there we were able to put a new attachment on the line going into the I.V. and get my drug flowing properly. Then my doctor who was on call arrived and started examining my Hickman line in my chest. They tried to pull blood out of it but nothing happened, and they figured out I had a blood clot in the line itself.
This was very strange for all of us because my blood is already so thin that I am almost anaemic! They started putting small doses of a blood clot busting drug into the line to break it up and told me if that didn't work that they where going to take me to surgery on Monday morning to install a new Hickman on the right side of my chest and remove the old one from the left!! I wasn't really thrilled about this since I am right handed and when I shoot my shotgun I hold it on the right!! So needless to say we were all praying that the medicine worked!! During all of this, trish had to get the kids to the hospital so grandma could come and get them, and they were both freaked out while the paramedics were working on me. Jarod kept asking me if I was dying now, and Justin didn't know what to do. While Trish and I where at the hospital grandma had to bring the kids to see me several times because Jarod kept worrying that he wasn't going to see me again and wanted to make sure I wasn't dying yet!!
Well all went well, and by 5:30 p.m. the clot broke free and they were able to put my medicine line back on my Hickman and everything was going great, so they released me at 7:30 that night!! It seems like a whole lot of excitement for nothing now, because I knew that this wasn't my day to die, but I did realize that things where not well. I am glad it is over and thanks again to everyone for their thoughts and prayers! I will try to stay of off facebook and update my blog more often!!! :0)

2 comments:

Erika said...

Glad you are doing okay, now. Hows the back? Tell Trish I need a trim!

Liesl said...

Holy cow Mark! It makes me cry thinking of your boys being worried that you're going to die. I know you guys have been totally up front with them and I even agree that it's best they know it could happen any time, but it's sad to think of the fear they must feel--especially when the paramedics have to come work on you. I'm so glad the blood clot dissolved!